The Internet is one of the biggest things ever invented in mankind. It was first used by the US military for communication purposes. The use of the internet has increased a lot in the last few years. It also affected people’s daily lives and changed the culture in many ways. It has made our lives much easier.
“THE INTERNET IS BECOMING THE TOWN SQUARE, THE GLOBAL VILLAGE OF TOMORROW.”
Research in America proves that 64% of internet users say that their daily routines and activities would be affected if they could not use the internet.
According to the statistics, total users of the internet in the whole world are approximately 4,574,150,134 until March 2020. (https://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm)
INTERNET CHANGING LIVES
From children to aged, everyone is using the internet and praising it. We can connect all over the world through the internet. The development of the internet has updated the world and also bought some positive and negative effects on our lives.
Here are some positive effects of the internet in our lives:
- The Internet plays an important role in education. It can be used to gather information. Students use it for their exam preparation purposes, researches, projects, results, etc.
- Students can easily get access to quality education material on different websites like YouTube and other learning sites.
- Students can also use the internet to learn new skills and show their creativity to the world i.e. blogging, inventing new hobbies, doing some small online business, or anything they feel relaxing.
- Today, during this world pandemic, the internet is playing an important role in education as teachers are using different applications like zoom meetings to educate students.
“THERE ARE TWO EQUALIZERS IN LIFE- THE INTERNET AND THE EDUCATION.”
- The Internet offers many advantages to the business world. With the development of the internet, even small electronic businesses can now interact and compete with larger companies.
- The Internet has made it easy to shop online. You can be available 24 hours a day, you don’t have to deal with opening and closing times. People can shop whenever they want.
- The biggest advantage of e-business is that it is cost-effective. You don’t have to pay for store rents, shipping costs, electricity bills, and taxes, etc.
- You can also use social media to advertise your business. You can create a business page to grow your business, can also increase sales and profitability through Facebook ads, and google ads.
- Internet is a source of entertainment for kids, teenagers, and adults.it is providing us entertainment in so many ways like gaming, music, YouTube, movies, etc.
- You don’t need to visit the cinema or have to wait for DVDs to watch movies, all you have to do is to have internet access and you can watch your favorite movie just by staying at home.
QUICK COMMUNICATION SOURCE:
- Gone are the days when you have to wait for days to get your letter to arrive. The Internet has made communication faster and time-saving.
- We can connect through various chatting applications i.e. Facebook messenger, skype, WhatsApp, and FaceTime.
- Now people can easily communicate remotely to their friends and families who are far away from them through instant messaging and video calling.
Nowadays, when the internet plays a huge rule in our daily life, there are also many negative effects of the internet on one’s life.
WASTAGE OF TIME:
- Many people spend their precious time using the internet and the majority of them are students. They kept on surfing the internet or watching videos on YouTube, without even noticing the time.
- Due to much interest in social media chatting sites, people don’t know how to interact in person with others and it is badly affecting our lives.
“TECHNOLOGY IS KILLING RELATIONSHIPS BECAUSE WE TEND TO GIVE OUR PHONE TO MORE ATTENTION THAN WE DO OUR PARTNER.”
- The average time spent daily on the internet is increasing day by day and reached 135 minutes since 2017 (Statista, 2017).
- Today, the majority of the population including young children has access to the internet and they are getting addicted to it.
- Internet addiction can harm a person physically or mentally. It can cause vision problems, body aches insomnia, depression, anxiety, aggression, and social isolation.
- According to research, 40% of US people aged 18 to 22 are addicted to the internet.
SCAMS AND FRAUDS:
- There are a lot of scam websites available on the internet which are used to scam people.
- Scammers may create or design a fake shopping website that may look real. The purpose of these websites is to get money from people in the name of online shopping.
- Criminals nowadays are scamming people by posting fake jobs where they give you work opportunities from home but first you will be asked to pay a registration fee as job security or they will ask your credentials.
- The FBI Internet crime complaint center reported 351,936 complaints of internet crimes in the year 2018 with a loss of $2.7 billion.
- The Internet has huge content which is inappropriate for teenagers and students. Inappropriate content may include adult images, self-harm sites, violence, and sites spreading terrorism and racism.
- Students who use the internet most without any restrictions are more likely to fall for the inappropriate content.
- Children can sometimes get into inappropriate content through different online websites, gaming sites or they open them purposely.
- This type of site and content may affect their language and mental health. Parents should keep an eye on their children to what their children are doing on the internet and what they watch or you can also block the websites containing adult material.
In the 21st century, the internet has affected us in every way. The Internet has introduced new ways of communication, the work we do, and the information we share.
From news to entertainment, everything is just one touch away from us. With the help of the internet with can now communicate with anyone, anywhere and anytime. The more people use it, the more it will affect our lives.
But above all advantages, it has negative sides too. We have to use the internet in our limits. Children must use it in the supervision of their parents.